12.09.2014

2015's Most Anticipated: We're Gonna Need a Bigger Theater


50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1 |
Runner-Ups |

Zen and the art of awwwwwwww.
Of course after writing up about a movie last night, the studio decides to drop a trailer for the movie today. I mean, what does a no-talent blogger with very little traffic need to do around here to get some respect? Well, here's the new teaser trailer for The Walk (#22):


What a tease, indeed. I had no idea this was going to be in 3D! I sincerely hope that this movie relies more on character than gimmicky 3D effects to tell the story - because it's a good one! I have faith in Zemeckis but this movie has officially been put on notice.



20. In the Heart of the Sea
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Cillian Murphy, Ben Wishaw
Director: Ron Howard
Writer: Charles Leavitt
Release Date: March 13
I don't think this would have been this high on my list if it weren't for A) seeing Ron Howard's last movie, Rush and B) seeing this epic trailer. Howard is consistently good even though I don't love him love him like my boy Danny Boyle or David Fincher. And Hemsworth is the sexiest man alive, so there you go. Done. Nothing needs to be written more about this. Well, okay - the story looks pretty fantastic - it's based on a true story in 1820 about the whaleship Essex getting attacked by an enraged sperm whale hundreds of miles away from land. This attack leaves the ship stranded for more than 90 days, resulting in the crew having to resort to cannibalism. Men will be tested, lives will be lost and quite possibly their might be a case or two of scurvy. Count me in - I love true stories and with Howard manning this ship, In the Heart of the Sea is more than worthy of number 20 on my list.


19. Hot Tub Time Machine 2
Starring: Craig Robinson, Rob Corddry, Clark Duke, Adam Scott
Director: Steve Pink
Writers: Josh Heald
Release Date: February 20
Hot Tub Time Machine was such a great movie. From 80s nostalgia to time travel shenanigans to running gags involving dismemberment and of course, Enrique Iglesias' Hero, this movie had a lot of laughs. Well the writer/director duo behind the first movie are back and it looks like their going to give Terminator: Sega Genisys a run for its money. Okay, maybe not, but this might be the best time travelling movie coming out next year, no joke! This looks like more of R-rated raunchy comedy which I'm down for. 2014 was sorely lacking in this department and when it had an R-rated comedy, it was something like Sex Tape, which had to be one of the most god awful movies I've seen in a while. February 20 cannot come soon enough!


18. Blackhat
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Viola Davis, William Mapother
Director: Michael Mann
Writers: Morgan Davis Foehl, Michael Mann
Release Date: January 16
Michael Mann (Heat, The Insider) is a lot like Ron Howard from earlier in this list - he's consistently good and I really dig his movies, he's just not a director I can gush about. However, this movie looks like it should be entertaining and dark and moody and everything I want. And we got another Hemsworth-starring film! It's going to be a good year for him. Well, what isn't a good year for this hottie, really? Blackhat looks like a fun thriller - it should be much better in substance than the movie Hackers (although you can never take away my love for that movie - Hack the planet!!). The trailer leaves much to be desired - so Hemsworth is recruited by the American and Chinese governments to stop a cyber terrorist who is doing this for fun? I hope there's a little more to it than that - Michael Mann co-wrote the script and I can't imagine him not spilling ink over something mediocre. It's coming out very soon and I'm surprised this didn't get a sooner release for awards season, but maybe the studio just doesn't have very much faith in it. Well I do, Mr. Mann. I'll make sure to show up opening weekend for this one.


17. Jupiter Ascending
Starring: Channing Tatum, Mila Kunis, Eddie Redmayne
Director: Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski
Writers: Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski
Release Date: February 6
A movie that, in my opinion, got shafted by the studio, Jupiter Ascending was supposed to be released last summer but ceremoniously was pulled a month before release to work on the special effects. Or so the studio says. The fact that it got dumped in February says a lot about how the studio sees this film: as a box office disaster. From what I've heard and the trailers I think this film looks fantastic! A movie like this might be hard to market, but it can be done - I mean the Wachowski siblings' first movie, The Matrix, was a hard film to market to the masses back in 1999. I think the Wachowskis are supremely talented - they had one of the best films in 2012, Cloud Atlas. They're a unique voice in Hollywood and I hope this movie and all the drama surrounding it doesn't stop these two from making movies. Jupiter Ascending has got a great cast - Tatum and Kunis are two of my favorite actors right now and to see them together should be making all the ladies (and men) faint. The story sounds a bit bonkers - the queen of the universe (according to her genes) is living on earth as a house maid. While the alien race battles over who will be the next in line for the crown, Tatum's character vows to protect Kunis and fight for her right to the crown. I'm excited to see the visuals and the world the filmmakers have created but that weird facial hair on Tatum might be a bit distracting.

16. Magic Mike XXL
Starring: Channing Tatum, Elizabeth Banks, Amber Heard
Director: Gregory Jacobs
Writers: Reid Carolin, Channing Tatum
Release Date: July 1
Magic Mike was by far the biggest surprise from 2012. I don't think I expected Channig Tatum to take over the world back then (oh, naive Colin from 2012) but I believe in the house of Tatum. He's convinced me that his sequels are worthy of my attention (22 Jump Street was fantastic). So I can't deny him this one! The plot is pretty much under wraps right now - there's only a vague one sentence description on Wikipedia: The strippers take a road trip from Tampa to Myrtle Beach for a stripping convention. I honestly don't know what to make of it, but hell, I'm in! I just hope there's some semblance of plot, but I trust the filmmakers to make sure everyone is entertained. And this comes out July 1 - what is more American than strippers? Nothing, except maybe hot dogs and fireworks. I don't think 2012 me would have ever thought 2015 me would be this excited for a male stripper movie but hey! We've evolved as a country! Thanks, Obama!

50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1 |
Runner-Ups |

No comments: