12.04.2014

2015's Most Anticipated: That's What You Get

50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1 |
Runner-Ups |

One of the funnier movies this year. And also one of the dumbest. But funny and not on my list.
There's been quite a few really good movies that don't show up on my list at all. I know, it's tragic, right? I think even when I do these lists that about half of my top 10 for the year end up not being on my list. I can already name a handful in contention this year - Whiplash, Birdman, Obvious Child. That's what you get when Hollywood pumps out about 150+ nationwide releases every year. I'm just grateful that I get a chance to see most of what I want to see every year. This isn't my job, if that's hard to believe. But I'm a movie junkie and I'm like a bottomless pit when it comes to movie viewing. I'll see anything. Except for those god-awful Broadway adaptations. Those are the worst.


Note: This is from American Hustle, but it's good to know Lawrence has the range to play a lady obsessed with cleaning.
35. Joy
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert DeNiro
Director: David O'Russell
Writer: Annie Mumulo
Release Date: December 25
David O'Russell is back again for the third time in four years releasing a Oscar-worthy movie in December. He seems to have hit the jackpot with Jennifer Lawrence - this is their third movie together. Joy is about the true story of Joy Mangano, a single mom living in Long Island who goes on to become one of the country's most successful entrepreneurs by creating the Miracle Mop. While that doesn't sound too exciting, I'm pretty sure David O'Russell will make it interesting. And the cast - it's basically Silver Linings Playbook all over again (which I really, really, really loved). O'Russell's last movie, American Hustle, was good but felt a bit hollow - like it was trying way too hard to be important and Oscar-worthy rather than telling a good story. I hope this ends up being another great true story that O'Rusell uncovers and I can't wait to see Lawrence tackle this role.


34. The Revenant
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Domhnall Gleeson
Director: Alejandro González Iñárritu
Writers: Alejandro González Iñárritu, Mark L. Smith
Release Date: December 25
Following up his indie-hit Birdman, Iñárritu is looking to adapt the 2003 novel The Revenant about Hugh Glass, the famous frontiersman who gets mauled by a bear. His companions rob him and leave him for dead, but he survives and goes looking for them to exact revenge. This is the second western movie on my list and holy hell this sounds awesome! I'm excited that Iñárritu is involved after several directors left and the production had been re-cast. I think Birdman was a very exciting and quirky (in a good way) film that leaves a very lasting impression on you long after leaving the theater. I think he could bring that energy (and camerawork!) to this film to truly make it something unique. Plus the cast! DiCaprio has been surprisingly consistent and really good these past 10 years and I think he's perfect to take on the main role of Hugh Glass. Tom Hardy, Domhnall Gleeson and Will Poulter play his companions and I think all three have their strengths - Gleeson and Poulter are up-and-coming, but don't be surprised to see Gleeson as a household name after his role in this movie and Star Wars next year. I hope this movie turns out to be awesome because I'd love to see more westerns like this!


33. Victor Frankenstein
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, James McAvoy
Director: Paul McGuigan
Writer: Max Landis
Release Date: October 2
Told from Igor's perspective, we see the troubled young assistant's dark origins, his redemptive friendship with the young medical student Viktor Von Frankenstein, and become eyewitnesses to the emergence of how Frankenstein became the man who created the legend we know today. Igor is played by Radcliffe - which I think is awesome - he should be a good fit with James McAvoy (X-Men: Days of Future Past) who plays Frankenstein. I like the idea of taking classic stories or tales and showcasing it from a different perspective - this can end up being brilliant (Hook) or terrible (Maleficent). While the director and writer haven't done a tone of great movies - McGuigan directed the excellent Lucky Number Slevin and Max Landis wrote Chronicle. So I'm hoping that this can come together nicely and be a smart thriller/scary movie come October.


32. Trainwreck
Starring: Amy Schumer, Bill Hader, Tilda Swinton, Brie Larson
Director: Judd Apatow
Writer: Amy Schumer
Release Date: July 24 
This movie made splashes when it was first announced - Amy Schumer has her wildly successful show on Comedy Central which gave her the freedom to write her own movie and none other than Mr. Comedy himself, Judd Apatow, is helming the picture. While I didn't really enjoy much of This is Forty - I still think Apatow is a good director - and he gets scrutinized and criticized so much that sometimes people forget he's just making dumb comedy movies. Amy Schumer completely scrapped her original script and completely rewrote the film to reflect a very extreme and comedic version of Schumer's own past as the basis. Of course the usual crazy cameos that occur in Apatow movies are showing up in this film as well - Daniel Radcliffe, John Cena, LeBron James, Method Man, Marisa Tomei are just a few of the names credited in the movie. I have no doubt Schumer is going to deliver - she's funny and it almost feels like there's an enormous pressure for her to represent all women of comedy in this movie from what I've read on the internet (whether that's fair or not). I just hope that this is hilarious - I think this is a genius team-up and Apatow will certainly bring out the best of Schumer.


31. Project Almanac
Starring: Jonny Weston, Sofia Black-D'Elia
Director: Dean Israelite
Writers: Andrew Deutschman, Jason Pagan
Release Date: January 30
This movie sounded fairly dumb - a found footage film where these silly teenagers can travel back in time? Found footage is so 4 years ago, folks! But early reviews have come in and it's been getting a surprising amount of positive vibes. Although sometimes found footage can be too much for me - I just want to see what's going on, dammit! I'll forgive the movie if this ends up being more like Back to the Future than Timeline. This movie might make a star out of some of these young actors. I mean, I really liked the movie Chronicle. So instead of gaining superpowers these kids can travel in time. And who doesn't like time travel movies? If it's done right, this should be an Excellent Adventure (see what I did there?). 

50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1 |
Runner-Ups |
 

No comments: