12.04.2014

2015's Most Anticipated: Drink It Up

50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1 |
Runner-Ups |

How I treat myself most mornings.
I'm getting a little delirious. I know that there's a lot of movies on this list and yes I am excited about all of these movies - some more than others. Duh, I mean that's why there's a numbering system. I love putting things in lists and at this point it's hard to rank something 40 as opposed to 30. I mean, really it's just semantics. But I actually had a lot of fun this time around because all of these movies are genuinely getting me amped up for next year. After writing up these next five films, I've realized that 2015 is going to be a helluva year besides all the sequels and prequels and reboots. There's some really, really good original movies and four out of the next five are showcasing that! Let's keep this groove train groovin'!



40. Pan
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Levi Miller, Garret Hedlund
Director: Joe Wright
Writer: Jason Fuchs
Release Date: July 17
I suppose this re-imagining of Peter Pan was bound to happen what with all the fairy tale movies getting the green light. Most of them are big time misses. But something about the cast and the director Joe Wright being onboard, it felt a little bit different than most of these lifeless renditions of classics. And then the trailer got released this past week and I'm actually pretty impressed with the direction this movie is headed. It actually feels like a story that hasn't been seen onscreen (yes, cliched, but in this case, pretty true!). I like the look of the film and it just feels like the film is magical. Whether the trailer is selling a lie, I don't care because I'm excited. I think Joe Wright is an interesting choice to direct - he's mostly known for his dramas like Atonement and Pride & Prejudice, so it'll be interesting how he handles something far more lighter and family friendly. I'm optimistic that this film will be quite fun - it certainly looks like it will be.


39. The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
Starring: Dylan O'Brien, Kaya Scodelario
Director: Wes Ball
Writer: T.S. Nowlin
Release Date: September 18
I felt the urge this year to go see The Maze Runner and was totally surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I immediately sought out the books and if the film resembles anything like the second book than this is going to be one of the more darker and sinister young adult adaptations. Although to be quite honest, the first film took quite a few liberties with the source material and most of the plot in the film is completely different. The characters and maze and outcome all remained the same, just getting there was quite different. So it will be interesting to see how much will change in the second film and how far the studio is willing to go when it comes to the more insane/violent scenes in the book. The second film sees the survivors from the first film take on more dangerous trials by forcing them to walk through the desert and a city full of crazy monsters/zombies. The same writer/director team is back so I expect the same excellent pacing and editing for this film as well. While I won't say this trilogy is my favorite young adult books, it's certainly worthy of a film trilogy - it's exciting to see how this pans out. While I was let down with the third book, the second should be really action packed and exciting the whole way through.

38. Spy
Starring: Melissa McCarthy, Rose Byrne, Jason Statham
Director: Paul Feig
Writer: Paul Feig
Release Date: May 22
Paul Feig, the man behind Bridesmaids (and writer of several Freaks & Geeks episodes), is back again, this time about a spy named Susan Cooper and her misadventures. Melissa McCarthy takes on the main role with a tremendous supporting cast including Allison Janney, Jude Law, Rose Byrne and Jason Statham. There's very little known about the actual plot, but that shouldn't matter too much in this comedy as long as its funny. This probably would be much higher on my list, but I think Melissa McCarthy, despite being absolutely one of the funnier and more talented actresses out there, is getting pigeon-holed into a certain type of character: the bumbling, outrageous and dim-witted weirdo. If you look at her past few movies - Identity Thief, Tammy, The Heat - she plays an offbeat and quirky character and most of her jokes rely on physical comedy more than comedic timing or acting. So I hesitate to get too excited about this movie because she could be a playing another silly role like that and if that's the case, I'm out. I have faith in Paul Feig to write and direct a better character than that, but I don't know! I'd love to see a trailer soon and maybe, possibly they could change the title to something a little more detailed and less generic than "Spy." I mean, c'mon talk about not being creative at all!


37. The Good Dinosaur
Starring: Judy Greer, Neil Patrick Harris, Frances McDormand
Director: Peter Sohn
Release Date: November 25
After reading up on this Pixar film, it seems like the production on this film has had a lot of drama. The original director was fired/asked to resign because the third act wasn't working. And then there was a complete script re-write and the release date got pushed back a year and half. Talk about crazy! But it's still a Pixar film and I expect nothing but the best from these folks. Their last film, Monsters University, was painful to watch at times, so it will be nice to see them make an original title. The Good Dinosuar's supposed plot is about a dinosaur (duh doi!) who befriends a human boy named Spot. Now I don't know about you, but I really don't like the idea that Pixar is perpetuating the myth that dinosaurs and humans coexisted. It's just downright wrong and possibly irresponsible. I know we're talking about a cartoon with possibly talking dinosaurs, but seriously, Pixar - you are better than that! I'm sure this will be good, I just can't imagine me loving this movie even though DINOSAURS are one of the greatest things ever!

36. Black Mass
Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Johnny Depp, Juno Temple
Director: Scott Cooper
Writer: Scott Cooper
Release Date: September 18
The true story of Whitey Bulger, the brother of a state senator and the most infamous violent criminal in the history of South Boston, who became an FBI informant to take down a Mafia family invading his turf. Now this I'm excited about! As much as I loathe films set in Boston where the city is a goddamn character unto itself, I think Whitey Bulger is an interesting figure - a notorious criminal himself before becoming an FBI informant - his organization was largely ignored until the late 90s when several government officials were exposed as part of a larger corruption involving Bulger. Johnny Depp plays Whitey and Cumberbatch plays his brother, who just happens to be a state senator. No, you can't dream up a better story than this. This film could be really fun, but I'm worried that the movie will turn into a dull biopic about Bulger's whole life. II'd much rather see a contained story about one of the more infamous parts of his life. This has Oscar bait written all over it and for good measure - consider me genuinely intrigued!


50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1 |
Runner-Ups |

No comments: