7.05.2010

182: Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (PG) - 1948 - Runtime: 126 minutes
Starring: Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Tim Holt
Director: John Huston

This one is actually good. With these older movies, sometimes they hold up really well, and sometimes they're just too dull. But I think the good outweighs the bad in this one - the performances are spectacular and the story is universal enough to never grow stale.


Bogart plays Dobbs, a drifter who heads to Mexico in search of jobs in 1925. There, him and his best friend, Curtin, get swindled into a job with no money. But they soon find out, according to a grizzled and experienced old man, that there's some gold in the hills if you know how to look for it. And that sets in motion a tale of greed and betrayal. Humphrey Bogart is fantastic because he isn't the hero or suave man that he usually plays. In fact, I was really impressed by his performance as a man caught up in his own greed and lust for gold. It's a classic tale about betrayal and how someone can change when their fortunes also change. And I don't know how intentional it was - but it was funny, also. I found the Mexican bandits to be absolutely adorable and hilarious! "We don't need no badges!" is a classic line, but the way the actor delivers it, it was quite a hoot. I don't know what it was, but I couldn't find those bandits to be menacing. They just seemed so cute with their sombreros and thick accents. Maybe I'm racist? I don't know but be sure to check this one out to find out if you're as bad as me!

Rating: Rent It!

No comments: