6.30.2010

182: The Silence of the Lambs


The Silence of the Lambs (R) - 1991 - Runtime: 118 minutes
Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Jodi Foster
Director: Jonathan Demme

The only thing I remember about this movie - and it's not really a memory about the movie, but a reference from another one. In the Cable Guy, Jim Carrey and Matthew Brokerick are at the Medieval place and Carrey puts chicken skin over his face and says in a very bad impression of Hannibal Lecter, "Silence....of the Laambs." Ahh, I love that movie, but I never understood the reference until now. I can't believe I missed out on this movie because it's just so good. I don't particularly seek out serial killer thrillers, but this one is almost perfect.

Clarice Starling is an up and coming star FBI agent who's been assigned to find the serial killer known as Buffalo Bill - a man who kills and then skins the women he abducts. The best lead on the case is locked up in glass chamber, deep underground. A known serial killer, cannibal and once renowned psychologist, Hannibal Lecter might be the only link to stopping Buffalo Bill. I was not expecting this movie to be good, but it's better than that. This movie gets under you skin. And I'm not talking about Hannibal Lecter. For some reason, I thought he was mildly humorous and definitely not threatening. Well, at least throughout most of the movie. But he's a villain you're almost glad he's out and about running around, eating people up (with fava beans!). Like he said in the movie, the world's more interesting with him in it. At least, that world, certainly not my own! Not to say that he didn't deserve the Oscar for this role, he most definitely does, but he's not the most horrifying person in the movie. In my opinion, that goes to Buffalo Bill. Namely because he's out in the real world throughout the movie and you don't really see him for most of it, either. Which is terrifying because when you can't put a face to the killer, that makes him more menacing.

Jodi Foster is great, too. She plays the rookie agent well and she has her own horrors to deal with that Lecter exposes. The movie is a great thrill ride and I thought Lecter and Starling's scenes were show-stealing. There is such a tension in the air during those scenes, but they are working together. It's very complex relationship and I think the movie nailed it. I'm glad there wasn't any twists at the end of the movie - it would have been too distracting. Instead, you get completely immersed into Starling's terror.

A great movie and a most perfect thriller. The performances are great and the horror is frighteningly real. I loved the movie and it never got dull or slow. But as a last note, this has to win the award for most bizarre title. It makes sense after you see the movie, but who knew that people would actually go to see this in theaters with such an effed up title? Seriously!

Rating: Rent It!

No comments: