6.30.2010

182: Bull Durham

Bull Durham (R) - 1988 - Runtime: 108 minutes
Starring: Kevin Costner, Susan Surandon, Tim Robbins
Director: Ron Shelton

Maggie and I had went down to Durham for her sister's wedding and we were told by our now brother-in-law that we should see this movie. He said it was a good romance, but not just a chick flick. So of course we had to see this movie and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. I wouldn't say it's a great movie, but it's a fun little flick that works as a good date movie.

Crash Davis comes back to Durham to catch for the Bulls, Durham's own minor league team. But that's not all he's there to do - he's supposed to mentor the hot shot ace pitcher, Ebby LaLoosh (played by the very young and affable Tim Robbins). They soon take the team from the dumps to number one. But there's a love triangle going on between Crash, Ebby and the local superfan, Annie Savoy. Although the story isn't exactly the greatest, the humor and characters are the best part of the movie. I don't really like Surandon in this role. She's all sexed up and I just don't find her attractive at all. I just didn't really "get" her at all - she's obsessed with baseball, but she's also a loose women. She takes it upon herself to sleep with a new player every year - helping them become a better player (or so she says). I definitely enjoyed the relationship between Crash and LaLoosh more than anything else in the movie.

I wasn't expecting the movie to be so funny and rated R. There's some great jokes and I thought Costner was pretty good as Crash. Even better was Robbins as the rookie. He was like a baby duck throughout - all wide-eyed and wondering. It was pretty comical and you do get drawn into their budding relationship and the team's success. But there was definitely a few too many sex scenes involving Surandon that I couldn't stomach.

But Bull Durham has a lot of heart and it's not really a baseball movie, but it's not really a romantic comedy, either. I can't really explain it. I had a lot of fun watching the movie with Maggie, but at times we both thought the movie dragged on a bit. Maggie asked me at the end of the movie "Why is it called Bull Durham?" I had no answer for it - I had always thought that was the actual nick name of Costner's character, but not so! Oh well, maybe that's a question for my brother-in-law to answer.

Rating: Rent It!

No comments: