8.08.2012

Most Anticipated: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days

50. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (PG) - Runtime: 94 minutes
Starring: Zachary Gordon, Robert Capron, Devon Bostick
Director: David Bowers

Yes, this movie was on my most anticipated list. I decided to give this series a shot last year and I really, really enjoyed both movies. Rowley is by far one of the greatest kid characters to ever grace the silver screen. The actor, Robert Capron, does such a great job of creating this sweet, naive and dorky kid that you can't help but smile whenever he's onscreen. Dog Days is another great addition to the series and it's just as good, if not better, than the other two movies.

Whereas the first two movies dealt with Greg's relationship with his best friend Rowley and then with his brother, Rodrick, Dog Days focuses on Greg's father, Frank. Played by one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood, Steve Zahn - Frank Heffley walks a fine line between Homer Simpson-like buffoonery and Ward Cleaver-like wisdom. I liked the story they told and how Greg comes to really enjoy his father's company. The movie never spends too much time indulging in the cheesefest of father-son relationships. This is mostly a comedic film and I found myself laughing hard at times.

There's a lot of different stories/characters happening in the movie so it's hard to remember all the great stuff I enjoyed. But I dug Greg's weekend getaway with Rowley's parents. Rowley's parents border on serial killer status, which I thought was hilarious! There's a scene where they all want to get ice cream and instead of getting 3 separate cones, all three flavor scoops are on one cone, which Rowley and his parents enjoy licking together. It's gross but immensely funny - most of the movie is this way and I applaud the execution.

I found this third movie to be the best because of the aforementioned storyline of Greg connecting to his father. It just felt authentic and real. Plus there's just more funny jokes and Steve Zahn gets more screen time which is always a plus. I've enjoyed every movie in this series and by far this one takes the cake.

It may not be the best coming of age story, but Dog Days is filled with a ton of laughs and it's really, really fun. You can take your mom to see this and you won't have to worry about awkward sex scenes or filthy jokes that only you laugh at while your mom looks on disapprovingly. I highly recommend this one!

Rating: See It!

No comments: