11.22.2011

The Most Anticipated Movies of 2012: The Runner-Ups, Part 1

List: 50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | Runner-Ups: 10-6 | 5-1




While 2011 had its moments, I still feel like it didn't live up to the hype that I had heaped upon it. Yes, I know that I am only letting myself down because of this, but I can't help myself. I love movie trailers, I love the anticipation and excitement movies bring. And while I think there's a lot of big time contenders that are sure to get me excited, there's a lot of movies that remain question marks as to how good they'll actually be. Starting next week, I'll reveal the top 50, but today and tomorrow I will be revealing the movies that just missed the mark.

Starring: Amanda Seyfried
Director: Heitor Dhalia
Release Date: February 24
This looks like a decent thriller. I don't think it's worthy of the top 50 mainly because this plot could've been for a Lifetime Movie. That's not a bad thing, it just doesn't make this that special. But color me intrigued - I like Amanda Seyfried and I'm always up for a good mystery. I probably won't catch this in theaters, but it'll be good for a rainy night in the summer when it gets released on DVD.


Starring: Daniel Radcliffe
Director: James Watkins
Release Date: February 3
Another thriller, although this looks more to be like a horror movie. Which I have no quibbles with - I love Gothic fiction and the movie is based on a seminal 1983 Gothic novel that centers around a menacing spectre that haunts an English town back in the 19th century. The trailer is quite effective and I'm very intrigued as to how Radcliffe can act beyond the Harry Potter universe. This should be a good one, but I'm always disappointed in these kinds of PG-13 horror/suspense movies, so call me skeptical. I'm hoping for the best, but anticipating the worst.



 

The Grey

Starring: Liam Neeson, Dermot Mulroney
Director: Joe Carnahan
Release Date: January 27
If you're noticing a theme, it's pretty apparent. Most of these movies are thrillers being released in the first two months of the year. I didn't plan on this, it just happened. But I am looking forward to this movie - you have Liam Neeson, who seems to pump out a movie like this once a year and the director, Joe Carnahan, who has done the underrated A-Team and the instant classic Smokin' Aces. I hope there's more to the movie than just fighting wolves with broken bottleneck knuckles (although that's pretty kick-ass!). And while the teaser does have me stoked about the movie, I can't help but feel this might end up a cross between Into the Wild and Taken.



Man on a Ledge

Starring: Sam Worthington, Elizabeth Banks, Jamie Bell
Director: Asger Leth
Release Date: January 27
Surprise! Another thriller! And it's opening on the same day as Liam Neeson's wolf killer movie! This has shades of Inside Man (which was awesome, BTW) and Phonebooth (another solid movie). I'd like to see what happens in this movie - it looks like it's going to be a fun thrill ride. But what to do with the main actor's hair? It's like they hired a kid straight out of beauty school to provide hair and makeup. Besides the awful costuming, the movie seems like it's a one and done kind of deal. After you've seen the set up and punch line, there's no reason to go back. And I just can't put that on my top 50 for that reason (and the hair!).



Red Tails
Starring: Cuba Gooding Jr., Terrence Howard
Director: Anthony Hemingway
Release Date: January 20
A tale of courage and brotherhood...yada yada yada, let's just get to some sweet plane on plane action! I guess George Lucas wanted to make this movie for a long time, thank god he's too busy revisiting Star Wars for the 12th time to take the director's seat. Because if that was the case, I wouldn't have bothered to put this on a list at all! Joking aside, it does look good, but this one could end up being as dull as Flyboys (during the surreal days when James Franco wanted to be an action star! Remember Annapolis?). It has enough going for it that it might end up being good despite the tainted presence of Cuba Gooding Jr.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the last batch of runner-ups!

List: 50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | Runner-Ups: 10-6 | 5-1

No comments: