5.02.2010

182: Annie Hall

Annie Hall (PG-13) - 1977 - Runtime: 93 minutes
Starring: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton
Director: Woody Allen

I'm not a particularly big fan of Woody Allen. I've liked some of his newer movies - Match Point, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, even Scoop! - but I've never really been interested in watching his older movies. They seem dull and all about the negative aspects of relationships. But Annie Hall seemed like it would be something light and fun to watch. Well, I was partly right and wrong.

The movie is about a famous comedian, Alvy, and his relationship with Annie (aaduh!). The movie flashes back and forth between the present and the past with Alvy breaking the fourth wall several times. I found this movie to be a bit distracting, mostly because Allen is a whiny little bitch and his jokes just aren't that funny to me. There's some good moments in the movie, but overall, the movie is too self-loathing and even the charming Keaton, who's really good, can't help fight that narcissistic tone of Allen's. And yeah, I realize that's kind of the point of the movie, but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable!

I'd say skip this one - it's not worth the time, despite some surprising (for me) cameos (holy cow Christopher Walken looks, well, like his usual self. That man does not age!).

Rating: Not Worth Paying For!

No comments: