3.30.2010

How Bizarre (song title that may or may not be referred to in this post)

So I went to the grocery today. Yeah, ck, great opening sentence. I'm sure this is going to be a great blog post - way to go to draw in the reader. I wonder what they're thinking next: "Gee, why did ck go to the grocery? I wonder what crazy misadventures he had down at the food mall!" Well, let me tells y'all a story. I'm mainly the head honcho in my household, which means that I have privileges - such as first dibs on leftovers (which I'm not terribly fond of - I love me some fresh food, bitches!) and deciding what gets put on the bookshelf (I do not tolerate any books by that pompous bastard Hemingway). And as we all learned from uncle Ben (the Spider-Man uncle Ben, not the rice dude), with great power comes great responsibility - and that involves grocery shopping.
                               
So it was with somewhat great disdain that I went shopping for some goods to stock up on. While strolling through the aisles (because I make sure that other consumers know that I don't just walk, I make my presence known by taking a Matthew McConna-hay strut). As I'm swinging around the endcap display of Totino's Crisp Crust Pizza boxes, I begin to notice not only am I handsomely rugged through the reflection of the freezer glass, but I know that delectable tune gently humming through the speakers up above. It's Apologize by Timbaland, possibly one of the most non-annoying songs that gets stuck in my head all the time (others on the short list: Hall and Oates' classic You Make My Dreams and The Cardigans' Lovefool).

I only know about this song thanks to Maggie. It's weird - she's not really "hip" to the music scene. I think the last album she bought was the Glee soundtrack (a surprisingly good album from a surprisingly good show) and Coldplay's newest. So when she's like, "Colin, you need to download this song for me, like, right now, or I'll shoot you in the face!" I have to oblige (hey, even the head honcho knows when he's lost a battle). So Maggie does have good taste - I think she could potentially be one of those pretentious douches that troll record stores if she cared at all about music. But she doesn't, which is a good thing, because my little knowledge as to what the kids are listening to nowadays comes off as waaay cool.

But back to the point of this whole post! So I was humming along when I started to realize this isn't the first time I've heard this song in the grocery store. In fact, this isn't the second or third time. I can sincerely recall hearing this tune at least four separate times in the grocery store. And this isn't the only tune that I keep hearing over and over again. Groove Armada's Hands of Time comes up a lot. And this isn't just one grocery store, so it's not like I'm coming in at the same time and catching the same time frame of the playlist playing. Who the hell knew that grocery stores were cool places to groove too? Although on the other hand, I've heard some truly awful songs (Sheryl Crow's All I Wanna Do and pretty much anything John Mayer calls a single). I've never heard something at the grocery store and went, "Eh, this is okay." It's only stuff that is on either side of the spectrum.

One of these days I'm going to put a mix cd (does anybody actually make those anymore? Am I still relevant?) together. It will both be truly epic and tragic. So Jay-Z's Empire State of Mind would play and the next song would be Creed's With Arms Wide Open. (Which one is which? If you have to ask, then you shouldn't be listening to music on a regular basis). I think I might call it NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL BIPOLAR! Right now, however, Apologize is stuck in my head, specifically this version:




Enjoy your day!

No comments: