1.05.2010

182: Someone Like You

Someone Like You (PG-13) - 2001 - Runtime: 97 minutes
Starring: Ashley Judd, Greg Kinnear, Hugh Jackman
Director: Tony Goldwyn

I'm not gonna lie, the DVD cover just screams 90s (I know, I know - it came out in 2001, but give me a break). Maybe it's simply because Ashley Judd certainly was more of a 90s movie star than she has been this past decade. So I was a little hesitant when Maggie wanted to rent this movie because she had just finished reading the book the movie is based on, Animal Husbandry. But my fears were soon squashed after spending time with a fun romantic comedy. Hugh Jackman was surprisingly the best thing about this movie. And I was surprised how good Greg Kinnear can play an asshole.

Ashley Judd plays Jane who, after getting dumped by what seems to be the perfect man, decides to figure out why men are such jerks. She moves in with the jerkiest of jerks, Eddie, played by Jackman. It's as straightforward as you can get with romantic comedies. But the movie plays to its strengths: Jackman's charm and by-the-books pacing with some great side characters (Marisa Tomei and Ellen Barkin play their roles well). So, despite the predictability, this one's worth a rental. I liked the comedy and Judd and Jackman play off each other well.


Rating: Rent It!

No comments: