1.14.2010

182: Jennifer's Body

Jennifer's Body (R) - 2009 - Runtime: 102 minutes
Starring: Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried
Director: Karyn Kusama

When I first heard about this movie, I had some high expectations. Not necessarily because of Megan Fox, but because of Diablo Cody. I really loved Juno and thought this was an interesting second project for her to write. And then the reviews came in. So I was not particularly jazzed to go out and see it. I was a bit delighted to see it come in on DVD, hoping that people just didn't "get it." Well, it's a mixed bag.

Megan Fox plays Jennifer (duh!) and Amanda Seyfried plays Needy (intentional pun? Probably.), her best friend. They have the typical hot/ugly friend relationship. It all turns bitter when Jennifer gets pretty much kidnapped (on her own free will for the most part) by some douchebag rockers (one played by a fairly unrecognizable Adam Brody. I guess he's trying to get that Seth Cohen dorky taste out of his mouth. She becomes a monster after that night and has an insatiable appetite for human flesh. Mainly boys, but she eventually ends up going after the ladies as well.

It's really a toss up. Some of the cheesy dialogue fits perfectly (and you can tell it's written by Diablo Cody. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I don't know yet) and the story is at least intriguing. But it is fairly slow paced. For a movie that clocks in at about one hundred minutes, it drags. Megan Fox isn't a bad actress, either. It's just that most of what she gets is hot girl roles and those can only go so far. So I was a bit disappointed by this movie but I don't regret watching it, either. It had some good laughs (and shocks), so overall it's worth checking out if you're into a cheesy horror flick.

Rating: Rent It!

No comments: