7.05.2009

182: Mr. Brooks


Mr. Brooks (R) - 2007 - Runtime: 120 minutes
Director: Bruce A. Evans
Starring: Kevin Costner, William Hurt, Demi Moore, Dane Cook

Maggie had recorded this movie on our DVR a week or so ago and she watched it on her own and really liked it. So I decided to give it a shot. I had wanted to see it when it came out on DVD, but I just never got around to it.

Costner plays a well-known business man who's addicted to killing couples. He's been clean for two years until one night he needs a fix and makes one crucial mistake. That mistake leads him to meet Dane Cook's character: Mr. Smith, who knows about Mr. Brook's dirty deeds. And from there it gets rather interesting.

I was very surprised by this movie. The one word I would use is slick. Mr. Brooks is a very careful serial killer, making sure his killings are CSI-proof (which is funny because Marg Helgenberger plays Mrs. Brooks). So it was rather cool to see him unleash his inner Hurt and kill a couple (who obviously had it coming - I mean they screw with the curtains open, c'mon!). I enjoyed that we didn't get to know Mr. Brooks too well. The movie's primary focus was his new complications with Mr. Smith and dealing with a dumbass daughter who couldn't practice safe sex. Demi Moore plays the detective trying to find Mr. Brooks and I'm glad we didn't get too much of her, otherwise this would turn into Double Jeopardy. Thank God Tommy Lee Jones didn't show up as head of the FBI in this movie, otherwise I would have turned it off. I also wish Dane Cook would take more roles like this instead of his one-note characters in Good Luck Chuck and My Best Friend's Girl. He was good, but he's no William Hurt, who was pretty devious in his role as Mr. Brooks' alter-ego, Marshall.

If you haven't seen it and could go for a good thriller, Mr. Brooks is definitely worth renting.

Rating: Rent It

No comments: