12.28.2015

2016 Most Anticipated: OMG

Runner-Ups 1 & 2 | 50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1


Out of the top 25 movies I've picked this year - only 10 of them are remakes or sequels or part of a series. That's pretty impressive. I know I sound like a broken record every year, but as much as Hollywood is unoriginal, there's always at least a dozen really good, original movies that come out each year. There is one sequel in this section and they all look promising.


20. How to Be Single
Starring: Dakota Johnson, Rebel Wilson, Leslie Mann
Director: Christian Ditter
Writer: Dana Fox, Abby Kohn, Marc Silverstein
Release Date: February 12
You know what I'm excited about? A bunch of ladies finally taking over R-rated comedies. I mean, would you rather watch this movie or the one where Robert DeNiro says 'fuck' a lot? I mean, that's the only draw of Dirty Grandpa, right? And if the funny ladies weren't taking over right now, we'd get a lot of sad, misogynistic 'comedies' like that awful turd of a movie. So thank god this movie looks fairly fun and funny. I'm not the biggest Rebel Wilson fan (I don't think she steals every scene she's in), but I'll taker her here as the sidekick to doe-eyed Dakota Johnson. I'm always down for those comedies about friendships and finding out who you are while trading dick (well, in this case, vagina) jokes. Funny ladies Leslie Mann and Alison Brie also show up in this movie and I honestly hope that this movie is more about friendship than a romantic comedy. Even though I'm a sucker for romantic comedies, I'd rather see an honest movie about being single than a forced romance. I mean, the movie title says it all and I'll be plenty unhappy if they deceive me like that. Very unhappy.

19. Conner4Real
Starring: Andy Samberg, Imogen Poots, Sarah Silverman
Director: Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone
Writers: Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone
Release Date: June 3
The second movie by the Lonely Island crew - their first was the underrated Hot Rod - looks to be pretty hilarious. At least, on paper. The plot revolves around a rapper who's latest album bombs and is forced to reunite with his boy band roots. I can only assume that lots of funny hijinks will ensue. I mean, Andy Samberg is tearing it up on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the funniest show on TV right now. And his friends from SNL are all responsible for the digital shorts and pretty much any good skit on the show from 5 years ago. Plus the Lonely Island rap group are pretty awesome as well with such hits like I Just Had Sex and YOLO. I have a good feeling there's going to be some great songs with this movie and probably a ton of stupid jokes that I'll giggle to uncontrollably. Sign me up!


18. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Starring: Tina Fey, Margot Robbie, Martin Freeman
Director: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
Writer: Robert Carlock
Release Date: March 4
Another comedy, but probably with a little more serious bent, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot tells the true story of Kim Barker, a war correspondent in Afghanistan and Pakistan and her experience being a woman reporter on the frontlines. The movie looks like it's going to have a good balance of laugh out loud jokes with some very serious, holy shit moments. I think seeing the war we fought in Afghanistan through these types of lens is an easy pill to swallow for me. Some of the experiences Barker has had will hopefully translate well on screen and give us a little bit different look at the war and those that report on it. I mean, the trailer kind of pinpoints how seriously fucked up it is over there when Barker is explaining to one of the woman that she went to Afghanistan to escape her boring, insufferable life. I'm excited to see Fey's performance and the directors, who've had a pretty weird directing filmography (The eclectic I Love You, Phillip Morris, Crazy, Stupid, Love and Focus), should bring at least a unique perspective to things. Plus Margot Robbie is in this and I'm telling you guys, it's the year of Robbie. And I'm pretty sure she's going to nail each and every movie,

17. Passengers
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt
Director: Morten Tyldum
Writer: Jon Spaihts
Release Date: December 21
Passengers was one of those black list movies (The black list is a list of unproduced screenplays that are highly regarded) waaay back in 2007. It's lingered in development hell for almost 8 years before the saving grace of our lady Jennifer Lawrence and master Chris Pratt. Hollywood's biggest ambassadors are here to take this script and probably make a billion dollar baby out of it. The story is about a spaceship transporting humans through space and a malfunction causes one of the passengers to wake up from cryogenic sleep. Afraid of being left alone his whole life, he wakes up a female passenger to keep him company. I mean, the concept sounds great. If the execution and the rest of the story is told well, then this might be not only a great science fiction movie, but also an Oscar contender. Morten Tyldum, the Oscar-nominated director from The Imitation Game is directing and I think he'll do a fantastic job creating a space for hopefully some great performances from both leads. John Spaihts looks to have a fantastic year with this screenplay and he's had a hand in Marvel's Doctor Strange movie as well. So I'm excited - I think because the movie is coming out a year from now that this movie isn't higher on my list. As the release date gets closer, I might just get more excited about this one.

16. Untitled Bourne Movie
Starring: Matt Damon, Alicia Vikander, Julia Stiles
Director: Paul Greengrass
Writers: Matt Damon, Paul Greengrass, Christopher Rouse
Release Date: July 29
I probably shouldn't have this movie as high as it is, but A) please don't judge me B) it's another Bourne movie C) this Bourne movie reunites Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass and D) it can't be worse that Bourne Legacy, right? Maybe the movie will take place 10 years later. I love time jumps in movies/shows. That could be the best thing for this series - get away from the trilogy's story and bring in a new threat for Bourne and make him vulnerable. I'm confident that Greengrass and Damon can come up with something - they are writing the script along with Rouse, who's been the editor for all of Greengrass's movies. The only thing is, are people going to be open to another Bourne film? I think Damon has proven he can still draw audiences with a great character/story (The Martian was a near-perfect vessel for Damon this year). And Bourne is still pretty well-known, so we'll see. I'm excited to hear more about the story - which I think this is where the film will sink or swim. If it's more of a re-tread on the trilogy, then I think it's a failure. If they can move past Bourne's legacy (pun intended, folks!) than this could be a great start to another set of movies.

Runner-Ups 1 & 2 | 50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16 | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1

No comments: