5.07.2013

Review Roundup!

 
This is how I felt watching Alex Cross

These are a handful of movies I've seen that weren't on my most anticipated list, but nonetheless I thought were worth checking out! I don't think I missed too much in these past three months, but there were some really good ones and really bad ones. Thankfully, most of the movies weren't longer than an hour and a half, so not too much time was wasted! You can thank me later!



Celeste and Jesse Forever (R) - Runtime: 92 minutes
Starring: Rashida Jones, Andy Samberg
Director: Lee Toland Krieger

As far as indie comedies go, this one is pretty good. Celese and Jesse are a couple that have broken up and divorced, but still live together. They haven't learned to let go of each other and this movie is the journey they take to discover what will make them happy, whether that means alone or together. It's a really funny movie and sad and genuinely honest piece of writing. They're definitely two oddball characters and you either are going to love them or hate them. I found their story entertaining and it was a delight. 
Rating: Rent It!

Bachelorette (R) - Runtime: 87 minutes
Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Lizzy Caplan, Rebel Wilson, Isla Fisher
Director: Leslye Headland

I'm in complete disagreement with Maggie on this movie. She enjoyed it, while I found the movie to be fairly dull and not at all that funny. If you're expecting Bridemaids, you should rent Bridesmaids. This isn't nearly as funny as the trailers made it out to be. In fact, I'd categorize this movie as a drama. And if you like Rebel Wilson, she's barely in it and plays the straight character who has absolutely no funny lines. The story revolves around a bad sitcom premise (they ruin the wedding dress! And have 24 hours to correct their mistakes!). And while that drives the story, it just didn't click with me. Maggie really liked it, so it's probably not as bad as I'm making it out to be. But I'd avoid this dramedy for shizzle.

Rating: Not Worth Paying For!

10 Years (PG-13) - Runtime: 100 minutes
Starring: Channing Tatum, Rosario Dawson, Jenna Dewan-Tatum
Director: Jamie Linden

This is like Love Actually, except it's American and it's about a 10 year high school reunion. There's lots of intertwining stories and they're all really, really good. Most reunion movies aren't this funny and nor are they this genuine and honest. There's so many good things about this movie - the cast, the stories and the jokes. It's a fun movie that doesn't try to fit into normal cliches. This movie is worth going back to more than once!
Rating: Own It!


Wreck-It Ralph (PG) - Runtime: 108 minutes
Voiced by: John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer
Directed by: Rich Moore

I can't believe I missed this one. It's so good - I think it was better than Brave from last year (although that was pretty good too). I may be a bit biased because I love video games and this is most definitely a love letter to the 8- and 16-bit era. And on top of that, it's a good story filled with a lot of action and humor. It's pretty much perfect.

Rating: Own It!


Alex Cross (PG-13) - Runtime: 101 minutes
Starring: Tyler Perry, Matthew Fox
Director: Rob Cohen

Talk about a mess of a movie. This is supposed to be an origin story - how Alex Cross became THE Alex Cross. But it's just so dumb and utterly forgettable. Even though I live near Detroit and have an affinity for anything remotely associated with the city, this movie that takes place in Detroit couldn't have been worse. Tyler Perry is not a great actor and he's just okay in this role, but for a character that has about 300 novels written about him, he's not serviceable. Matthew Fox, however, is the only highlight of this movie. But at the same time, his villainous character is pretty cliched and awful. The pacing is way off and in general, the plot just isn't that intriguing. I still hope they go through with a sequel (the aptly titled Double Cross) just because I'd like to see how far they'd go with these awful cross puns - Criss Cross? Cross Walk? You Just Got Crossed? The possibilities are endless!
Rating: Avoid Like the Plague!

Red Dawn (PG-13) - Runtime: 93 minutes
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Josh Peck, Adiranne Palicki 
Director: Dan Bradley

I remember way back when this was being filmed. I remember because they were filming this back in 2009 in the neighborhood where I worked. Unfortunately this movie wasn't worth the wait. It's a serviceable action movie, but for the most part, it's largely forgettable and I just couldn't care enough about the kids trying to hold their own against the invasion from North Korea. I understand why people were laughing at this movie because there's no way in hell North Korea could pull off a full-scale invasion like they did in the movie. But when there's so many other problems with the movie, like the characters being likeable (Josh Peck was simply an annoying little shit) and the Home Alone-esque vibe to the kids taking out trained soldiers with what amounts to Christmas ornaments and paint cans (at least, that's what it felt like). I wouldn't say this was a bad movie, but you'd be wasting your time watching it!

Rating: Not Worth Paying For!

No comments: