9.16.2012

Most Anticipated Roundup!

Okay, I've been away for a while and I've actually seen a handful of movies! So instead of giving a long spiel of why I enjoyed/hated movies - there's a quick paragraph summing everything up! Quick and dirty is how I like it here!

38. John Carter (PG-13) - Runtime: 132 minutes
Starring: Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Willem Dafoe
Director: Andrew Stanton

I largely forgettable film, John Carter does have some fairly good parts - especially the ending. In fact the whole movie could have been condensed into a thirty minute prologue to what could be a really good movie. That's what I wanted to see, instead there's lots of forced romance and bad jokes. The CGI is pretty bad for a $250 million budget! I won't say avoid this movie, but you're better off rewatching Avatar (and that's saying something!).

Rating: Not Worth Paying For!


31. American Reunion (R) - Runtime: 113 minutes
Starring: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan
Director: John Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg

Ugghhhh, why did I even think this would be remotely funny? The last movie was just terrible! I thought maybe since everyone was back that I would enjoy it, but no. This is not funny - it's a franchise that hasn't moved beyond it's first (great) teenage comedy movie. The problem is that it tries too hard to be another teenage comedy when, in fact, this movie is about entering into your thirties and realizing you're getting old. Friends With Kids handled this way better and was actually funny. Just go ahead and rent that movie instead.

Renting: Avoid Like the Plague!


Bernie (PG-13) - Runtime: 104 minutes
Starring: Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine
Director: Richard Linklater

Who knew Jack Black could be a good actor? When he's given the chance (much like Will Ferrell), the dude can act - he's great as Bernie - a funeral director who ends up murdering his best friend, a widowed old lady. It's a very bizarre (and true!) story that is perfectly told through the town gossips. Linklater is a fantastic director (best known for Dazed and Confused, one of my favorite movies of all time!) and he captures the absurdity and subtle humor well in this movie. A must-see!

Rating: Rent It!


44. The Campaign (R) - Runtime: 85 minutes
Starring: Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis
Director: Jay Roach

This movie had its moments. I laughed hard in some places and was completely silent during some unfunny jokes. You know who steals every scene he's in? Dylan McDermott! Yeah, that guy from The Practice McDermott. Seriously - he plays Zach's campaign manager and this movie is worth seeing for his scenes alone. Otherwise it's kind of a cakewalk for these two actors - they do their schtick (which still is funny to me - it hasn't gotten old). But would I say this is the funniest movie this year? Not really - it's worth a rental when it comes out and not much more!

Rating: Rent It!


16. Premium Rush (PG-13) - Runtime: 91 minutes
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Shannon
Director: David Koepp

What a rush! Yes! Puns! Seriously, this movie was pretty sweet! I enjoyed all the bike chase scenes and I loved, loved Michael Shannon as the dirty cop. There's not big twist in the movie - it's fairly straightforward, but the movie has an awkward way of explaining the plot. You'll go backwards in time and it just wasn't the right way to tell the story. Fortunately, that's really the only issue I had with this movie. The movie kind of reminded me of Phone Booth, short and sweet and focused. It's a fun movie and worth seeing!

Rating: See It!


No comments: