3.27.2012

For Your Consideration: The Muppets

So you know how I had written an addendum to add three movies that were on my most anticipated that got pushed back to 2013? Well, make that four because World War Z with Brad Pitt has officially been pushed back to summer of '13. Which I guess is good because now for sure I don't have to spend as much time this November coming up with 50 movies - I've already got the list started! So I present number 17 of the most anticipated this year - a film that also stars Brad Pitt:


17. Killing Them Softly
Starring: Brad Pitt, Ray Liotta, James Gandolfini
Director: Andrew Dominik
Based on 1974 crime novel, the film follows Pitt, a professional hitman as he investigates a heist that goes down during a mob-guarded high-stakes poker game. It's supposed to be a brilliant novel and I like the idea of this mob movie that's told from somewhat of an outsider. Pretty much anything Pitt's involved with I will check out, even if crime isn't my favorite genre. Plus, I loved Dominik's last directorial effort, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. A lot of people called that movie slow and dull, but I thought it was thrilling and a great character study of the real wild west. So count me in for this one!

Now on to the top three of 2011!




The Muppets (PG) - Runtime: 103 minutes
Starring: Jason Segel, Amy Adams
Director: James Bobin

This was number 7 on my list last year and it actually surpassed my expectations! I knew they were on the right track when they hired Jason Segel, because his puppet Dracula show in Forgetting Sarah Marshall was genius and just slightly off-kilter enough for it to be memorable. And pretty much everyone has a soft spot for the Muppets. I'm just glad they've come back and are here to stay. In fact - the whole movie's plot mirrors the real life comeback for the Muppets themselves. It's a great piece of work - from all the musical numbers, to the strong cast and to all the great gags and jokes, it's a fun adventure that everyone can enjoy!

I don't really know what else to say about this movie because if you love the Muppets - this is something you'll love and if you don't love the Muppets, then who the hell are you? Like I said earlier the cast is great - Chris Cooper as the villain is a great casting choice and I love the plot - his evil oil tycoon character is a great caricature of dopey villains and his plot to destroy the Muppets is purely cheesy and hokey that it plays perfectly in the movie. The whole movie is so hokey and dopey but it's winking at the camera the whole time. And at the same time, you'll find the musical numbers getting stuck in your head.

You'll be smiling for the rest of the day after you've seen this movie, it's guaranteed.

No comments: