2.14.2012

Most Anticipated Addendum

It's with great sadness that I've come to deliver bad news. Three, yes three (!), movies have been pushed back from 2012 to 2013. That doesn't really bode well for those movies (anything getting pushed back more than 6 months is a sign that the studio has absolutely zero faith in the movie). So, of course I have to get off my lazy ass and make sure to fill in the number 41, 30 and 29 spots on my list. If you really want to know how much I loathe doing this, this brief clip from the greatest movie of all time sums it up:



This time, however I made sure to pick movies that I know have no reason to be delayed. Well, actually, no I didn't, but whatever, there's a slightly better chance we'll see these three movies in 2012 as opposed to 2013. If this happens to any more movies, I might have to go fondle my sweaters. I mean, make fondu with cheddar.




41. Argo
Starring: Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman
Director: Ben Affleck
Release Date: September 14

Just in time for Oscar season, Ben Affleck's new movie was on my radar before I made the list, but I didn't feel like looking into it anymore than the strange title. But now that I've read up on the movie, I'm pretty excited about this one. It's a historical piece about the 1979 Iran hostage crisis and the CIA's involvement in extracting 6 U.S. diplomats from Iran. This involved faking their identities as a film crew scouting locations for a movie titled "Argo." This just sounds like a perfect fit for Hollywood and I've really dug Affleck as a director just as much as an actor. I thought The Town from 2010 was one of the best movies that year. Plus the cast looks amazing - Bryan Cranston has been on a roll lately with Breaking Bad providing the spark for his rise to fame. He's in six movies this year! Plus you got John Goodman, Kyle Chandler and Alan Arkin - all great actors - involved. This should be a good movie and I wouldn't be surprised if it lands a ton of Oscar nominations. Plus I cannot wait for the day when Hollywood announces they are making a sci-fi film entitled Argo, with help from the original CIA screenwriters.



30. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Starring: Steve Carell, Keira Knightley
Director: Lorene Scafaria
Release Date: June 22

I didn't even hear about this movie until the trailer came out a few days ago. The power of the trailer has once again overpowered me. I am intrigued by the premise of this movie. I love Steve Carell and I find he's a really good actor when he's playing more of the straight man (Little Miss Sunshine, Dan in Real Life, Crazy, Stupid, Love. were really, really good!). So I love the idea of him being a depressed loner looking for love. I really dig Keira Knightley, too, but at the same time, I feel like giving her a bad haircut and funky clothes doesn't make her quirky. Why can't she just play a normal lady without being a nerdy, oddball hipster? I guess that's the trend right now. Sigh. But despite those trepidations, I am still eager to see where this movie will go. I am a little weary of Scafaria, who wrote and directed this movie. She also wrote Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and I really did not like that movie at all. It had such an achingly teenage emo vibe that wore out pretty quickly. Here's to hoping for better results this time around!


29. Moonrise Kingdom
Starring: Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis
Director: Wes Anderson
Release Date: May 16

I can't believe I missed this one! I totally had forgotten about Wes Anderson's new movie and at least I have a chance to redeem myself. Despite his meteoric rise to indie cult fame and then his quick descent into indie cult backlash, I have found myself to be an unwavering Wes Anderson fan. I think he's got a certain style and pizazz (yes pizazz) to his movies that you won't find anywhere else even though you'll see lots and lots of parodies, some good, but mostly bad. I have no idea what the hell the movie is about, but based on his past films, I know I'm going to be entertained. The problem with Wes Anderson movies is that you know what you're getting. He's never going to surprise you with what he does. But if you like his style, you probably know you're going to like this one as well. And that's a testament of a good filmmaker - when they can constantly deliver good stories.



No comments: