12.06.2010

The Most Anticipated Movies of 2011: I'll put my money on these.

Check out 50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16  | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1

We're down to the top 25 and I summarized the next half of the list as the movies I will, hands down, see no matter what. I will plop down some money for all of these movies, regardless of the negative reviews or word of mouth. Some of these are going to be instant classics, while others might just be spectacular failures. But you won't know until you actually go see them for yourselves. And so to begin the top 25 is a movie from the director of one of my all-time favorite movies, Wet Hot American Summer.




Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Paul Rudd
Director: David Wain
Release Date: October 7
This may seem like an odd choice for 25, but I do believe that this is going to be absolutely hysterical. David Wain and Ken Marino, two guys from The State (the best comedy group ever assembled) wrote this movie and they've got the always charming Paul Rudd as their lead and Jennifer Aniston plays his wife. After losing his job, the couple is forced to move from New York to Atlanta to stay with family, but along the way they stay (accidentally?!) at a nudist colony. Apparently Ms. Aniston will be nude in this movie, which, for a lot of people, will be enough for the ticket price. Nudity aside (oh, okay. I am looking forward to that, too. Jeez. But I'm not some perv.), I think this is going to be a great movie. Almost anything The State members have done post-skit show has been pretty awesome. So I have no doubts I'm going to love this movie. They just have a sense of humor that forever tickles my funny bone.



24. The Adjustment Bureau
Starring: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt
Director: George Nolfi
Release Date: March 4
First-time director George Nolfi, best known for writing The Bourne Ultimatum, takes on a Philip K. Dick short story, "The Adjustment Team." The movie was supposed to come out this past fall, but for unknown reasons, got pushed back to the spring. These kinds of movies always get me - I love the mysterious sci-fi thrillers. Put in a little romance and the music from another great sci-fi flick, Sunshine and this one I am seeing opening weekend. The movie reminds me of The Box, the Richard Kelly-directed thriller with James Marsden and Cameron Diaz. Although that movie was just okay, I think this one looks way more slick and could end up being a surprise hit in March.


Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Patrick Dempsey
Director: Michael Bay
Release Date: July 1
You know this is going to be huge. This one would have been higher on my list, but Michael Bay really stunk it up on the second movie. I don't think I could actually sit through it again. So, I'm putting this franchise on watch, even though I'll definitely sit down and watch this opening weekend. There's a lot of promises being made by cast members, but I'm still skeptical. The teaser trailer is coming soon and I like the idea of government conspiracies with the landing of the moon, etc. It's amazing how this franchise went from sky high to rock bottom in one movie (although the box office says differently). I can only hope that this one will make amends on the travesty that was RotF. But if this one is just as bad as the second, I'm not plunking down my money for a fourth, that's for sure.


Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Noomi Rapace
Director: Guy Ritchie
Release Date: December 16
Immediately following the success of the first film, Warner Bros. green lit the sequel with everybody on board. It's perfect, because the first one left me wanting more with these characters. Guy Ritchie has done a fantastic job and he's quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. I can't wait to see where they take this series next and I can only hope it gets better. Newcomer Rapace (Sweden's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) is in the mix, playing a gypsy and I can't wait to see her in her first English-speaking role. This is a perfect holiday movie (again!) and I'm looking forward to all the funny parts and the action. Plus! Mystery! Seriously, I love mysteries. And this is the English literature dork in me, but I love the Victorian era. So this is just going to be awesome - day one ticket purchase!


Starring: James Franco, Andy Serkis, Freida Pinto
Director: Rupert Wyatt
Release Date: June 24
Okay, I confess I have not seen any of the Planet of the Apes movies (including the controversial Tim Burton reboot), but I know the gist of the movies and what happens. But this is a prequel! So it shouldn't be  mandatory that I watch the originals. James Franco is the main character and like I've said before, I'll watch this dude do anything. The movie takes place in modern day San Francisco and of course humans try to play god with genetic engineering and end up making apes mad and revolting against humankind. See! Sarah Palin was right! Andy Serkis, Mr. motion capture Ape-man himself, is playing the ape that leads the revolt. Freida Pinto emerges from her cave as the love interest in the story. But what makes this so high on my list? Rupert Wyatt, the director. He did one little movie before called The Escapist and it's by far one of the best movies I've seen the past two years. So I have nothing but high expectations for this one.

Check out 50-46 | 45-41 | 40-36 | 35-31 | 30-26 | 25-21 | 20-16  | 15-11 | 10-6 | 5-1

No comments: