7.21.2010

182: JFK

JFK (R) - 1991 - Runtime: 206 minutes
Starring: Kevin Costner, Kevin Bacon, Gary Oldman, Joe Pesci, Sissy Spacek
Director: Oliver Stone

Oliver Stone pretty much wears his beliefs and feelings on his sleeve. It's no secret he's a bleeding heart liberal and you can tell that this movie and the subject matter, are near and dear to his heart. The movie is over three hours long! At first, I was really considering something else, but Kevin Bacon movies, while there are a ton, aren't really that good on the whole (Stir of Echoes? Cavedweller? Loverboy?). All the good movies he has done I have seen, so JFK it is, then! Well, I will say this movie is engrossing and really entertaining. It sure is long, but it didn't feel really long. I will say you have to enjoy this era - the sixties. I absolutely love this decade. There was so much that happened that forever changed our country and culture in these 10 years than the previous twenty.

So the story involves Kevin Costner playing a New Orleans DA who gets obsessed with finding out the truth about what happened in that day in November in Texas. Of course, he uncovers lots of shady, underhanded deals and players all who seem to have connections to each other. As Mulder from the X-Files would say, the truth is out there. And from a pure murder mystery movie standpoint, this movie is good. You follow Costner's character all the way and it does a good job of making such a complicated mess of a conspiracy into a tight, thrilling movie. Say what you will about Stone's beliefs, you can't deny he isn't a great filmmaker.

So if you can stomach the running time and the setting, I say definitely go for this movie. It's worth watching and I'm so fascinated by it, I picked up a book Stone recommended a year ago, JFK and the Unspeakable. It finally arrived at my library today and I am looking forward to it!

Rating: Rent It!

No comments: