7.21.2010

182: Eclipse

Eclipse (PG-13) - 2010 - Runtime: 124 minutes
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner
Director: David Slade

Ah finally! The last movie for the project, even though I finished this almost three weeks ago. It's hard motivating yourself to get through these reviews sometimes, but hey, I'm here. Well, it's funny that I'm ending on this movie because Maggie ended her project with one of my favorite books, and I'm ending mine with one of her favorite books. I have not read the books and I think that's fine - they're not exactly up my alley and I've listened to a decent amount of the audio books when we've traveled, so I'm pretty hip to what's going on.

I was trying to look for my review of New Moon, which I did see during my project, but I never wrote a review! I'm so disorganized and I can see Maggie shaking her head in shame. Well, I can say that I enjoyed the first movie. Most people have such visceral reactions to this material - intense love or hate - and I find myself on the fence. The movies themselves are entertaining, but not to die for. And while I enjoyed the first movie, the second movie seemed rather dull. Not a whole lot happened in my opinion and it felt like New Moon was just setting up for an epic climax in the third book. And for the most part Eclipse is pretty epic and entertaining - and it's probably the best movie of the series so far.

I won't rehash the plot here, most know the love triangle going on and the stakes involved for all the characters, so let's get right to it. This movie was fun and also funny. The story lends itself well for a good time - the vampires and wolves have to team up to eradicate a new threat of newbie blood suckers (who apparently are really insanely powerful). I liked it and there's a lot of good comedy that comes out of this relationship. I just wish there was more of that, but I wasn't too disappointed because the movie never really slows down - it pretty much flies by.

As for the acting? Pretty good. I don't know why people think these three actors can't act. I think it's really just the material - the characters are a bit flat at times and I've definitely rolled my eyes a few times at the dialogue. But they're decent actors, they just need to get some more movies under their belt. I particularly love Bella's dad - he's my favorite and I think he's probably one of the most complicated characters in the whole story. He's played really well by Billy Burke.

As I said before, the movie is epic and very entertaining. It's a good summer flick that has some good action as well as romance (duh!) and actually, it's funny, too! So nuts to all those out there that think the human race is doomed because of this franchise, but it's all pretty harmless fun.

Rating: See It!

No comments: