7.05.2010

182: Blow-Up

Blow-Up (R) - 1966 - Runtime: 111 minutes
Starring: Vanessa Redgrave, David Hemmings
Director: Michelangelo Antonioni

This is considered one of my foreign movies, even though it's an English (pretty much) film. It's Antonioni's first English-language film, but I guess it's considered very much an Italian film. It's considered to be a classic foreign film and I was definitely intrigued by the premise, but I will say this movie sucked big time. I absolutely wish I had those two hours back!

The premise is this: Thomas, a high-fashion photographer in the swingin' sixties, is looking for inspiration and decides to go out to the park and take some pictures. It soon becomes apparent that he's actually photographed a murder. Doesn't that sound really awesome? Yeah, except the dude doesn't actually find out about the pictures until about an hour and half into the goddamn movie! Most of the beginning is filled with his life as a photographer - BORING! I don't care about that stuff - get me to the mystery and intrigue. I suppose there's some great metaphor about high fashion and the sixties, but it's too lost on me because it was dull. I can't believe people love this movie - it ends on sour note and doesn't really solve anything. It's completely pointless! You don't know anything more about the murder than he finds the body and Vanessa Redgrave will smoke pot and get topless for the pictures of the crime.

Stay away from this movie - it's pretty much sums up what I hate about artsy fartsy movies, especially from the sixties and seventies. It's pretentious and slow and doesn't have any sense of where it's going.

Rating: Avoid Like the Plague!

No comments: