6.26.2010

182: The Wolfman

The Wolfman (R) - 2010 - Runtime: 103 minutes
Starring: Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt
Director: Joe Johnston

I really was super psyched to catch this movie because I love movies like this - period pieces that deal with the supernatural (Sleepy Hollow, Sherlock Holmes, etc.). They're just entertaining and The Wolfman is no exception. It's a fun movie and I think I was won over because I didn't expect this to be so good. But it was!

Del Toro plays Lawrence Talbot an actor who reluctantly comes back to London from America after hearing news about his brother's death. But his death isn't normal - there's a beast on the prowl who seems to be taking out all their aggression on the local townsfolk. Talbot suspects something afoul and he eventually encounters the werewolf himself, getting bitten in the process. There's a big reveal that's supposedly a twist but you see this coming from the beginning of the movie. So it's really not about the plot, but the relationships in the movie and the HOLY HELL DECAPITATION! I guess I should have realized this before I popped in the movie but it's rated R. And there's a good reason for that - the violence is utterly astounding and awesome! I guess it took me by surprise because I was expecting a mild PG-13 level of violence, but this movie went to the next level in my opinion and for the better.

Del Toro obviously was meant all his life to play this role and he does it well. Anthony Hopkins is suitable, but he lays on such a thick air of entitlement and serious acting that it ends up being a bit silly. Emily Blunt is okay, but she's more just hey we need a chick in this movie to please the ladies that will be forcibly dragged to go see this! But despite that, I really liked the father-son relationship that evolves throughout the movie and the weird, pseudo-romantic entanglement Del Toro has with Blunt is not great, but sufficient. Like I said, the movie is fun and well worth a rental!

Rating: Rent It!

No comments: