6.23.2010

182: Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 (PG-13) - 2010 - Runtime: 124 minutes
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Don Cheadle, Gwyneth Paltrow, Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell
Director: Jon Favreau

No movie can withstand the amount of hype that Iron Man 2 had surrounding it. That's probably why there's so much disappointment with this movie. Certainly Favreau and company had a lot to live up to - Iron Man was a great movie (maybe not the greatest superhero movie, but most definitely in the Top 10). But I think after all is said and done, the best parts of this movie outshine some of the more mediocre parts. In fact, I think when The Avengers comes out and whatever the hell else Marvel is doing with their characters, I think Iron Man 2 will be fun to watch as it signals the start of a massive Marvel-dictated mega-universe encompassing several movies.

I may be reaching a bit on that last statement, but this is one of the many reasons I love watching this movie. There is a lot going on, but I never found myself scratching my head. I don't think I need to reiterate the plot, it's pretty much Iron Man to the rescue as he battles his own decaying body and Russian counterpart. Some of the best parts of the movie were not even main plot points. In fact, seeing Samuel L. Jackson (whom I've had enough of already, but he gets a pass this time around) hint around at what's in store for other Marvel franchises only has me hooked into being first in line for their next movie. Some may argue that it's cheap advertising or what have you, but I think it's smart and I'm super excited. Another part of the movie I liked? Sam Rockwell. I'll admit I have a thing for this guy - he's yet to disappoint me in a movie and I just thought his over the top portrayal of an impotent rival of Tony Stark was perfect. He never got too annoying and I can't wait to see what they do with his character in a future movie. Mickey Rourke was wonderful, too but sometimes I didn't think he was as menacing as he could be. But his character is super cool and thought all of the action scenes were just plain awesome. As, of course, the dialogue. Which only gets better because Downey has this character nailed down. He's so good and Cheadle actually plays a better Rhodes than Terrence Howard.

The movie is a little bit louder and more raucous than the first, but generally, there's not much difference between the two. Which is why I think most people thought it would be way bigger and more badass than the first. But it's not. Most everyone has probably seen it, but I think it's definitely worth a second or third viewing!

Rating: See It!

No comments: