5.13.2010

182: Kick-Ass

Kick-Ass (R) - 2010 - Runtime: 117 minutes
Starring: Aaron Johnson, Nicolas Cage, Chloe Moretz, Mark Strong, Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Director: Matthew Vaughn

Oh my god this movie is aptly titled! I had expected great things from this movie and it delivered. It's sure to be a cult classic in ten years and it's too bad that a lot of critics didn't like it. I feel like this movie is more for my generation than the older crowd. There's so much to love here that it's going to be hard writing a review without gushing too much. But by far, it's the best movie I've seen so far this year.

Dave Lizewski is your typical geek who pretty much lives through pop culture - comic books, movies, etc. He finds himself questioning what direction he's taking in life and decides to don a mask and name himself a superhero - Kick-Ass. His first encounter with real crime leaves him on the edge of death - but leaves him with a renewed sense of energy and direction - and a pretty ridged body because of all the reconstruction the doctors did on his bones. His next encounter with a group of thugs ends up becoming a You Tube sensation thanks to an onlooker's camera phone. Soon, everyone is talking about his alter-ego but there's trouble brewing with the local mob boss who happens to think Kick-Ass is a real threat because of some other super-hero type wannabes played by Chloe Moretz and Nicolas Cage.

It's a great set up for some over-the-top action and funny moments. Aaron Johnson plays the geek well but doesn't make him out to be a one-note character or stereotype. I truly believed every bit of his performance and as for the rest of the cast? Just frickin' awesome! I don't like Nicolas Cage too much, but he's really good at playing the geek dad bent on revenge and Chloe Moretz? She steals the movie - from her foul mouth to her fantastic set of moves and style - it all works and there's some great scenes that I truly believe are some of the best action sequences I've seen in a long time. No joke! Mark Strong is great as the villain (as he was in Sherlock Holmes) and Mintz-Plasse plays another geek who gets overshadowed by everyone else in the movie. It's too bad because I think there's a lot of potential for him to be an awesome character in this world.

Which leads me to the ending - it's pretty much perfect and there's a whole lot of build up to it that you're itching for it to come and it pays off! Plus! The movie is perfectly set up for a sequel which I hope they do because this could become such a great franchise. The humor is there, the action is well-choreographed (and I can actually see what's happening!) and the characters are people I want to learn more about. It's such a good movie and I wouldn't hesitate to call this the best movie of the year!

Rating: See It!

No comments: