5.13.2010

182: Friday

Friday (R) - 1995 - Runtime: 91 minutes
Starring: Ice Cube, Chris Tucker
Director: F. Gary Gray

I was super excited to see this one, considered to be a cult classic and one of the best stoner movies ever. So when I popped it in and after an hour and a half, I found myself wondering if I needed to be high to really enjoy this movie.

The movie is about Ice Cube and Chris Tucker who have nothing better to do than sit on the front porch, get high and watch what happens in the neighborhood. The plot is irrelevant for the most part - the movie's more about the characters and neighborhood shenanigans. I don't know why this movie is considered a comedy, because I would put this movie in the drama department. Sure, there's some funny moments in the movie, but it's all overshadowed by the Do the Right Thing-vibe throughout. In fact, this movie has more in common with that Spike Lee joint than Cheech & Chong. I mean, the best stoner movies are at least entertaining enough to be watched while not high and this is not the case with Friday.

Maybe I didn't get it, but there were far too few jokes and a lot of them seemed pretty lame (the midget neighbor who finds his wife cheating on him and then goes on his little midget rampage was one of the low points of the movie). Like I said, I think it would be hilarious if I was high, but even then I think I would start getting the munchies and ditch this movie. And as for the pot smoking? One scene! That's it and it's over with in a few minutes. It's pretty lame and I was wondering why everyone thinks this movie is so funny. I guess they've never watched it straight. So I say ditch this movie and watch a much better stoner movie like Dude, Where's My Car? and Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle!

Rating: Avoid Like the Plague!

No comments: