4.08.2010

182: Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (PG) - 2009 - Runtime: 88 minutes
Starring: Jason Lee, David Cross, Zachary Levi
Director: Betty Thomas

I was just as surprised as everyone else I talked to at how much I enjoyed the first Alvin movie. Granted, I enjoyed, not loved, the movie. The chipmunks were cute and Jason Lee used to be a skateboarder, so I have to watch whatever he does. So I was at least mildly interested in the sequel and this one was not even half as good as the original.

It's like they took the formula that made the first movie a success (lots of song and dance numbers, followed by cute CGI chipmunk shots and a disgruntled Dave) and threw it out the window. Dave is completely absent from this movie save for a few scenes. The songs (which, although I do not like musicals, had their charm in the first movie) are brief and rarely seen. And there's just not enough of the cute chipmunks messing around. They took the fun out of the movie, which is the only thing this movie had going for it. I feel sad that kids got roped into this sequel, because it's by far one of the worst I've seen compared to the original. The brilliant David Cross couldn't even save this one! Usually he's good for a few laughs in these popcorn movies (I absolutely loved him in She's the Man!) but he's just flat - picking up a paycheck, I guess.

There's not much else to say except that Zachary Levi does a pretty good job at playing the dork, but once again, there's not enough character moments to truly enjoy - they rushed through this movie like it was their business to get to the end. I know for sure I'm going to skip the third for shizzle.

Rating: Not Worth Paying For!

No comments: