3.21.2010

182: She's Out of My League

She's Out of My League (R) - 2010 - Runtime: 104 minutes
Starring: Jay Baruchel, Alice Eve, T. J. Miller
Director: Jim Field Smith

Holy balls this movie was hilarious! I had a chance to see this as a sneak preview and I would totally pay money to see it again. This movie is in the same vein as Knocked Up and Superbad where there's a lot of crude jokes but the characters have a lot of heart and seem genuine. It's by the far the funniest film so far this year (I know, that's not saying much, but I really, really laughed my ass off!).

The movie is pretty straightforward - the geeky guy somehow lands a dream date with the girl of his dreams. Things get hot and heavy and then a little hairy (in more ways than one) and it seems like this movie might be destined to hit the dump bin. But the movie is endearing and so are the characters. I saw a review from the guys doing At the Movies (terrible film snobs and pretentious douchebags, BTW) and they totally trashed this movie. My guess is that they already had the review written in their minds before entering the theater. There is a lot of laugh out loud scenes and some real honest issues being addressed about self-esteem and body image and all that (it may not be that deep, but those moments are there).

But the real scene stealer is what I would consider the next Jason Lee - T. J. Miller. He sounds a lot like Lee and he has all those one liners that caused everyone to laugh in the theater. His role is so similar to Brody from Mallrats that it was hard to not compare Miller to Jason Lee. And even though that was in the back of my mind, I still thought he was surprisingly fresh and funny. Kudos to that guy and I hope he has a long career.

Not to say that the rest of the cast gets left the crappy lines. Shockingly, all of Kirk's friends are pretty funny and are really good at dishing out the funny. I've always been a fan of Baruchel since the tv show Undeclared (another Apatow-produced gem) and he's only breaking out now - he's the main voice in How to Train Your Dragon coming out next week and he's co-starring with Nicolas Cage in the Sorcerer's Apprentice this summer. So I'm excited to see where his career goes. And Alice Eve, while being a pretty good lookin' gal, does hold her own against the dude-fest on screen.

I'm just so impressed with this movie - it's a must buy for me and check it out in theaters - it's needs some love at the box office!

Rating: See It!

No comments: