2.06.2010

182: Surrogates

Surrogates (PG-13) - 2009 - Runtime: 89 minutes
Starring: Bruce Willis, Radha Mitchell, Rosamund Pike, Ving Rhames
Director: Johnathan Mostow

Ahh, this movie tries so hard to be I, Robot or Minority Report, but unfortunately, it's nowhere near the level of those blockbusters. This sci-fi movie does have some redeeming qualities and it may not be something you'll remember in five years, but it's worth checking out for a decent thrill and to get your Bruce Willis in a blond wig fix.

Willis plays Tom Greer, a cop who finds himself caught up in a massive conspiracy that will doom the human race! In the future, most humans have decided to live their lives through robots. There's practically no crime and the world is really, really happy. But two surrogates get attacked in an alleyway and somehow kill their users, too. This leads Tom on a path to redeem the human race and he must do it quickly or else everyone will die! So if you didn't catch my sarcasm, the plot is a bit dull. I feel like there was a great story, but somehow got lost in production. It seems like the producers wanted a big action spectacle. And I feel that this movie would have some how been better served as a quiet thriller - not necessarily an action movie (like Children of Men). I will say this about the movie - it makes me want to go find the graphic novel it is based on because I have a feeling that's a really good story.

The movie itself - is all over the place. There's a side story involving Tom's wife and their dead son and how their no longer a happy couple and blah blah blah. It's pretty dull and I wasn't very compelled to follow along. But there's a decent story in the main plot but it gets a little out of control when the twists start to happen and it seems to stumble through the climax of the movie. And it's a pretty ho-hum climax, too. You just feel a little let down at the end. But don't take my word for it - I don't believe I wasted my time with this movie, but it certainly isn't worth a repeat viewing.

Rating: Rent It!

No comments: