12.20.2009

182: Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary (R) - 2001 - Runtime: 97 minutes
Starring: Renée Zellweger, Hugh Grant, Colin Firth
Director: Sharon Maguire

Let me set this straight. I honestly like chick flicks. I'm a big fan. I don't hide it - I'm shamelessly in love with movies like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (and for some reason this is the gold standard for me. Don't ask me why, it just is) and The Proposal. Despite the fact that most romantic comedies pretty much follow the same formula, I still can really enjoy them, no matter what. And so I was kind of looking forward to watching BJD (I've shortened it to this acronym simply because I cannot type Jones's": - see? - without screwing up! Arrghh!) but I don't think I was really prepared for this one.

I'll give props where it's due - Zellweger is pretty good in this movie and I liked how it wasn't afraid to be ballsy and get an R rating (unlike The Ugly Truth, which on top of being awful, really didn't deserve an R rating). And despite that Colin Firth and Hugh Grant are very dreamy in this movie - I really didn't like it. And I've pretty much committed mortal sin and have failed to live up to expectations as a proper partner because of it. But I just didn't think it was funny and I felt after a half an hour that more than an hour had passed. But I was wrong! We still had an hour left! Maybe it was the British humor or the pace, I don't know, but I found myself becoming extremely bored.

I also made the unfortunate mistake of telling Maggie that I really didn't like My Big Fat Greek Wedding, either. Mainly because I didn't find that one funny at all. Well, if you're going to be honest, I guess be brutal, right? Maggie had mentioned something about how I might enjoy chick flicks/romantic comedies when the other part of the equation (mainly the guy) is more involved in the story. I think there's some truth to that. And to quote a Kevin Smith film, I guess I just need the cock (sorry to all those virgin ears!).

So I gave it a try and I just think this movie isn't for me. I can see why a lot of people love this movie - it's got a lot of heart and energy in it - it's just not aimed in my direction. So if your significant other asks you to see it, go ahead and make sure to smile and say it was good. Otherwise you might find yourself on the couch.


Rating: Not Worth Paying For

No comments: