10.17.2009

182: Year One

Year One (PG-13) - 2009 - Runtime: 97 minutes
Starring: Jack Black, Michael Cera
Director: Harold Ramis


Okay, so I totally forgot about this movie. I think that pretty much sums the whole experience watching this train wreck: forgettable. Except train wrecks are more memorable, so I would compare this movie to seeing road kill on the highway. It stinks and there's a lot of messy stuff and you just want to forget that somehow, somebody killed this poor animal because it was too stupid to look both ways before crossing. Although someone should've killed this movie way before it got into pre-production. The jokes are not really funny and Jack Black, as much as he's good in movies like Orange County and School of Rock, his schtick get extremely old after five minutes.

Black and Cera are cavemen who get banished from their tribe and end up wandering into biblical stories. But whereas this could have ended up being a funny and biting satire on the absurdity of the Old Testament (ala The Life of Brian or History of the World Part I) ends up being dick and fart jokes for an hour and a half. There's really nothing redeemable in this movie and it's not exactly surprising that I forgot that I watched it.

Seriously, not Paul Rudd, David Cross, Oliver Platt, Hank Azaria or Bill Hader could save this movie. Yes, they're all in this piece of crap and don't have anything remotely resembling a good joke.

So as much as I could go on writing about how bad this movie is, just take my word for it.

Rating: Avoid Like the Plague

No comments: