9.25.2009

182: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (PG-13) - 2009 - Runtime: 100 minutes
Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Garner, Michael Douglas
Director: Mark Waters

Well, at least this movie wasn't a complete train wreck. Just a mild fender bender. After the movie was finished, I told Maggie that this movie was better than I expected, while she told me it was worse than what she expected. So I guess this chick flick (and believe me, this one falls dead center into the chick flick genre) has that mediocrity thing going for it.

So everyone knows the plot - it's Christmas Carol, but replace old codger with Mr. McCoNaughty and money with women. Like lots of them. Ridiculous, Wilt Chamberlain-levels of women. I'm surprised they got through the movie without any STD jokes. Because I was definitely making them throughout. And that's really the only way you could possibly enjoy this movie - by making fun of it.

Jennifer Garner and Matthew McConaughey really have no business being together in this film. This was just a paycheck for both of them. Although I would argue that McConaughey coasts through all of his movies this way. But Garner is better than this - she was fabulous in Juno - but sometimes you gotta pay the bills, I guess.

There's really not a whole lot of good stuff in this movie. Not too many jokes that are worthy of laughing at and the "chemistry" between the two leads is pretty non-existent. I've seen more love displayed between my dog and my cat than those two. I'm trying to think of other snarky, bitchy comments about this movie, but I'm completely drawing a blank as to what happened in the movie. And I'm way too lazy to think about it, let alone go to wikipedia for the plot info. I mean, I have my standards.

So stick with How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, it's by far a better chick flick and worthy of repeat viewings. Trust me, you're better off.

Rating: Avoid Like the Plague

1 comment:

Unknown said...

McConaughy just looks like the epitome of a douchebag in that picture. My mind is blown.